Mewat - Brij Circuit
(Alwar - Bharatpur - Sawai Madhopur - Tonk)

Frescos on mud House

Lesser Known Destinations around Alwar


Ruins at Ajabgarh
Location :The village of ajabgarh is located about 21 kms south of Thana Ghazi in Alwar district.
History : Ajabgarh is named after its founder Ajab Singh Rajawat. The place is also known to have been a favourite hunting site for Maharaja Jai Singh of Alwar.
Main Attractions : This place is well known for a temple called Shri Raghunathji. The front portion of the temple is built of marble from Jhiri and Makrana. There are 24 pillars without roofing in the open courtyard of the temple.


Bhangarh founded by Maharaja Bhagwan Dasji in 1574 A.D. It is situated on the banks of Sanwa River. Different types of tools used by early man have been recovered from this place.

Ruins of old Palace, Bhangarh

Vijay Mandir Palace

Vijai Mandir Palace

10 kms from Alwar, this royal residence, built by Maharaja Jai Singh in 1918 overlooks a scenic, rippling lake. A splendid temple of Sita-Ram is visited by devotees especially on the occasion of Ram Navami. However prior permission from the secretary is required to visit the place.

Jai Samand Lake  

6 kms by road from Alwar, it is large artificial lake constructed by Maharaja Jai Singh in 1910. It makes an excellent picnic spot during the rainy season with beautiful greenery all around.

Siliserh Lake & Palace

13 kms. South west of Alwar, this palace now a hotel offers a bewitching scenery. The shimmering lake, covering 10.5 sq, kms. Is surrounded by thick wooded hills with beautiful chhatris on the embankment.

Siliserh Lake & Palace

Tijara Jain Temple


Tijara is historic town situated 48 kms North East of Alwar. Tijara fort situated on the crest of a hill has been famous for the excavation of hidden treasure recently. There is a popular Jain temple, visited by lakhs of pilgrims every year.

Lesser Known Destinations around Bharatpur


Location :The town of Deeg is situated only 38 kms from Mathura and 34 kms from Bharatpur.
History : Deeg, capital of the Jat rulers, came into existence in the 18th century. During the riegn of Raja Suraj Mal, certain important and beautiful articles were brought from Delhi and Aga fort which are still intact in the palaces of Bharatpur and Deeg.
Main Attractions :
Deeg is known for its magnificent palaces constructed around the mid 18th century by Raja Suraj Mal, namely Suraj Bhawan, Gopal Bhawan and Kishan Bhawan. Gopal Bhawan, overlooking the Gopal Sagar is the most impressive of all the palaces. In front of the palaces is a marble swing which is said to have belonged to empress Noor Jahan. An extraordinary feature of the palace complex of Deeg is the fountain system which is fed by water stored on the roof of Keshav Bhawan.

Deeg palace

Location : Bayana is located in a small plain, between two hill ranges running more or less parallel to each other near the left bank of the Gambhiri river, in the district of Bharatpur, 36 kms from Bharatpur.
History : The ancient name of Bayana was Sripatha or Sriprastha. It is a curious mixture of Hindu and Mohammedan relics. According to Abul Fazal: " this town is the burial place of many illustrious men".
Main Attractions : The most visited site in Bayana is the famous Bijaigarh fort which was built by Jadon Raja Bijai Pal in 1040 A.D..

Hadi Rani Ki Baori

Toda Rai Singh

Surrounded by hills, the picturesque towns of Toda Raisingh is situated in Tonk district. The town gets its present name from RaI Sigh Sisodia the famous ruler of this place. Bijolia inscription of V.E. 1226 suggest that Toda Rai Singh was a popular centre of Jainism.

Lesser Known Destinations around Sawai Madhopur

Kaila Devi

Location :Kaila Devi is situated on the banks of the Kalisil River in Karauli district.
History : The place is known for its famous fair held during the dark half of 'chaitra' and lasts for a fortnight. The congregation of the fair exceeds one lakh.


Kaila Devi Temple


Inside view of Karauli Palace
Location : Situated 23 kms. from Kaila Devi, Karauli was an erstwhile princely state in eastern Rajasthan.
History : Karauli was strongly fortified by its rulers. The city is surrounded by a wall of red sandstone strengthened by bastions at several places. The peripheral wall, now dilapidated at several places, has six gats and eleven posterns.

Shri Mahavirji

Location : Shri Mahavirji is located in Sawai Madhopur district.
History : According to a Jan legend, a few hundred years ago, a cow would return home daily with its udders empty. Perplexed the cowboy followed the cow and saw it voluntarily shedding its milk at a particularly spot. Out of curiosity, he dug up the spot, only to unearth an idol of Lord Mahavira. Thus, Shri Mahavirji was enshrined.

Main Attractions :
The main attraction here is a statue of Shantinath, a Jain Tirthankar, which measures 32 ft. in height and has a majestic appearance. A big fair, held in MArch-April every year attracts a huge number of devotees, irrespective of caste or creed.

Shree Mahavirji Temple

Hadi Rani Ki Baori


About 12 kms away from Sawai Madhopur is Ranthambhore which is composed of innumerable pages of history. Ranthambore was then the private hunting reserve of the Maharaja of Jaipur. Among the more famous who were part of these hunting parties were Queen Elizabeth II and Duke of Edinburg.

The Fort

Dating back to 994 A.D., this imposing fort is perched atop a hill at an altitude of over 200 metres amidst a dense forest. The structure comprises huge walls and colossal gates.


Kakod is just 22 kms from Sawai Madhopur. It was once the official residence of the Rao Raja's of Uniyara. Kakod is a small village famous for the battle which took place in V.E. 1816 between Jaipur state and Marathas.

Kakod Fort

Hathi Bhata

Hathi Bhata

10 kms away from Kakod is Hathi Bhata where a life-sized elephant has been carved out from a rock . The story of Raja Nal and Damyanti is also inscribed on the same rock.

Close      Back